Original Vows of the Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva This is one of the popular sutras that is recited daily by monks and Buddhists. The sutras have many deep meanings that help us understand wisdom. let’s go Buddhist Items learn the idea and meaning of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra in the article below.
1. Origin of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra
During the Tang dynasty, specifically in the 7th century, a great Tripitaka master translated the Kshitigarbha Sutra from Sanskrit to Chinese. This sutra is considered as child sutra in Buddhism. The content of the sutras is divided into 13 works, which contain many of the Buddha’s meaningful teachings.
The meaning of the sutra revolves around the term pitrabhakti and the obligations of the living towards the deceased. the scriptures also discuss ability, saving sentient beings, Vengeance in a past life, how to free yourself from the web of evil…
The Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra has since appeared Tang Dynasty
The description of the 13 actions of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra includes:
- Part 1: Magical Powers in the Celestial Palace.
- Part 2: Clone assembly.
- Part 3: Reflecting on the Karma of Sentient Beings.
- Part 4: Good and bad deeds of man.
- Part 5: Titles of Hell.
- Part 6: Tathagat praises.
- Part 7: Both Advantages and Disadvantages.
- Part 8: Praise of the Kings of Jamla.
- Part 9: Claiming the Names of the Buddhas.
- Part 10: Comparing Cause and Effect of Generosity.
- Part 11: The protector god of the earth.
- Part 12: Benefits from seeing and hearing.
- Part 13: Advocating Human Emancipation.
2. Thoughts of the formula
The core vows of the Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva’s Vows are summarized in 8 words “filial piety, birth, suffering and retribution”. especially:
- Hiu Dao: Ethics towards parents and discussion on daughter-in-law. If we are filial towards our parents, we will get the same sweet fruit from our children. On the contrary, your children will also remain unmarried towards you.
- Saving Birth: Discussing the 12 Species of Sentient Beings, Which Will Help to Transform Sentient Beings, Generate Bodhi Mind, and Achieve Buddhahood Sooner.
- Bat suffering: discussion on the idea of ending all suffering in the world.
- Announcement: Discussion on the return of parenting.
treatise on the many meanings of human life
3. The Esoteric Meaning of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra
The Ksitigarbha Sutra was written as an exchange and dialogue between the Buddha and the Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva in the Dao Loi Heaven. The content of the sutras mainly talks about how to liberate sentient beings from the hell of suffering and instructions on how to dedicate merit to the dying or deceased.
According to Buddhism, the sutras have different meanings such as:
- Discuss the ocean of suffering and point out the things that make us happy with nirvana.
- Discuss the law of cause and effect and the consequences for doing bad things.
- Discuss filial piety, law of obligations, responsibilities of children and parents.
In short, the meaning of the Ksitigarbha Sutra is to help the sentient beings to get rid of the greed, hatred and delusion in their mind, to get rid of wrong thoughts, to practice the three good deeds, to dispel the darkness of ignorance and to return to the deity . Earth.
The Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra helps sentient beings to understand greed, hatred and delusion, to develop good karma and to eliminate ignorance.
4. Why should we recite the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra?
The Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra brings us many benefits such as:
- For present life: Those who recite Kshitgarbha Sutra can neutralize bad omens, remove afflictions, remove karma and calamities. Which leads to a peaceful life, a harmonious family.
- For the next life: Chanting makes the next life more beautiful by freeing from the chains of slavery.
- For the dead: Chanting the Earth Store Sutra is a way of praying for the soul of the dead.
- For the moment of death: Reciting the Earth Store Sutra for a dying loved one helps point the way in the right direction, without being swayed by the devil.
If one dedicates oneself to reciting the Kshitgarbha Sutra, sentient beings can remove miseries and bring good fortune
5. The best guide for chanting the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra
The teachings of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra are so deep that it is difficult to understand the meaning if you only read them once or twice. Therefore, when you read the sutras, you need to prepare a sincere heart and a sincere desire to learn those teachings of the Buddha.
Before chanting, wash your hands, clean your mouth, smell good, dress properly. Especially the posture of sitting should be straight, the body should remain stable. While bowing you should keep your body dignified and at the same time chant well enough to be heard.
It is recommended to chant sutras with the monks in the temple to earn more merit.
After reciting the Kshitigarbha Sutra, it is necessary to apply the content of the Sutra in life. If pride, arrogance and humility are not destroyed then a lot of virtue will be destroyed.
Buddhists should recite the Prithvi Bhandara Sutra there to keep the temple dignified, calm and not affected by any external factors. Furthermore, in the process of chanting, if you do not understand where the monk will explain, the Buddhist will fully understand the meaning of the sutra and go deep into the mind.
The above article is all useful material of the Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha Sutra. Buddhist objects I hope you have understood the meaning, idea and correct practice of the sutras.
Wish you Amitabh Buddha!